Friday 19 October 2012

A colored winter scarf

Scarfs are tipically the kind of clothes that have to be colorful, specially if it is a winter scarf. I had some 5" charm squares that I wanted to use for me (Matsuri collection from Connectingthreads + few other fabrics from the same shop), but you know what it is, you always sew and quilt for others. So for the first time I have decided to quilt something for me. With the end of the year coming so fast, I thought about a scarf.


I have used 32 charm squares. When pieced in triangle, your squares measure 4" at the end, so the scarf is 8" large and 64" long (enough to make a complete turn arround the neck with both ends on the chest).
A FREE PDF PATTERN FOR THIS PROJECT IS AVAILABLE HERE and THERE.

I have hesitated between flanel, fleece and cotton for the back. Finally I have used usual cotton fabric. I was not sure about the batting choice too, then I have used cotton instead of wool. Now the scarf is finished and I am pretty sure that it is warm enough. It looks like my usual quilts and I like that. It is a quick and fun project, perfect for christmas gifts. So I want to make more! For my next scarf, I think I will add a paper pieced block on each ends. This would make a more customized gift.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for shring, this is a wonderful scarf !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to having this ready to wear in November when our Canadian winters start to sneak in. Thank you for sharing. Patspaws

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this colorful scarf! Thanks for sharing, as free is all I can afford right now!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete